SEMA 2018, the world's premier automotive specialty products trade event, was held at the Las Vegas Convention Center from October 30 to November 2, 2018. With over 70,000 domestic and international buyers and over 2,400 exhibiting companies, SEMA 2018 showcased the latest automotive products and trends from all over the world.
From custom-built cars to state-of-the-art automotive technologies, SEMA 2018 had it all. In this article, we'll take a closer look at the highlights of this year's show and give you an insight into the world of automotive innovation.
The Latest Automotive Trends
SEMA 2018 showcased the latest and greatest in automotive innovation. Here are some of the top trends from this year's show:
Electric and Hybrid Cars
- With the rise of environmental concerns, many automakers are turning to electric and hybrid cars to reduce emissions.
- Companies such as Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen showcased their latest electric and hybrid models at SEMA 2018.
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS)
- ADAS technologies are becoming increasingly popular in modern cars, and SEMA 2018 showcased some of the latest advancements in this area.
- From collision avoidance systems to adaptive cruise control, ADAS technologies are making cars safer and easier to drive.
- Customization has always been a big part of the automotive industry, and SEMA 2018 had some of the most unique custom builds on display.
- From classic muscle cars to modern supercars, the custom builds at SEMA 2018 showcased the creativity and skill of the automotive industry.
- Off-road vehicles have been gaining popularity in recent years, and SEMA 2018 had some of the most rugged and capable off-road builds on display.
- From lifted trucks to purpose-built rock crawlers, the off-road vehicles at SEMA 2018 were a sight to behold.
The Best Custom Builds
One of the biggest attractions of SEMA 2018 was the custom builds on display. Here are some of the most impressive builds from this year's show:
Rocket Bunny Mazda RX-7
The Rocket Bunny Mazda RX-7 at SEMA 2018 was a standout custom JDM build that elevated the classic design to new heights. The iconic flared fenders and aggressive front bumper of the Rocket Bunny kit gave the RX-7 an imposing stance that demanded attention, while custom wheels and a sleek body kit enhanced its striking appearance. Powered by a rotary engine, the car's distinctive exhaust note was a fitting complement to its overall aesthetic. With meticulous attention to detail, this build was a true work of art and a testament to the team's skill and dedication. It left a lasting impression on all who saw it at the show.
Ken Block's Hoonitruck was a highlight of SEMA 2018, a custom-built 1977 Ford F-150 designed for Gymkhana Ten. The truck's wide-body kit, custom roll cage, and carbon fiber body panels showcased its aggressive yet functional design. With a custom-tuned V6 engine producing 914 horsepower, the Hoonitruck was one of the most powerful vehicles at the show. Its appearance gave fans of the Gymkhana series the chance to see the ultimate Gymkhana machine up close and appreciate its impressive performance capabilities.
The KRC Japan Supra was one of the most talked-about cars at SEMA 2018, thanks to its stunning appearance and impressive performance. This custom Supra was fitted with a widebody kit that gave it a muscular and aggressive look. Under the hood, the car boasted a massive single turbocharger and numerous other performance upgrades, allowing it to produce over 1,000 horsepower and reach incredible speeds on the track.
The Supra's gold wheels and carbon fiber accents complemented its striking exterior, while the custom racing seat and roll cage inside added to its performance-focused design. The KRC Japan Supra was widely praised for its exceptional build quality and attention to detail, making it stand out among the many impressive cars on display at SEMA 2018. It was a true testament to the skill and dedication of its builders.
Vlene GT86 wows crowds at SEMA 2018
The Vlene GT86 was undoubtedly one of the most highly anticipated cars at SEMA 2018. This coupe was a true masterpiece of design, combining style and performance in an awe-inspiring package. The car's sleek black exterior was modified with a custom widebody kit that gave it a more aggressive and muscular appearance. But the modifications didn't stop there; the GT86 was also fitted with a supercharger, custom exhaust system, front splitter, side skirts, and rear wing, allowing it to produce an impressive 500 horsepower, and increased its high-speed stability.
The interior of the GT86 was equally impressive, featuring a custom racing design with racing seats, a roll cage, and a full complement of gauges and controls. The car's red accents added a pop of color to the otherwise all-black interior, making it stand out even more. Overall, the Vlene GT86 was an exceptional example of the right combination of performance and style. It drew crowds of admirers throughout the show and was undoubtedly one of the most talked-about cars at the event.
Hoonigan Shart Kart
The Hoonigan Shart Kart was a unique vehicle on display at SEMA 2018. This go-kart-style vehicle featured a range of modifications that made it stand out from the crowd. The Shart Kart was built on a custom tube frame chassis and featured a turbocharged Miata engine that produced 300 horsepower. This combination of power and lightweight design allowed the vehicle to reach speeds of up to 100 miles per hour.
The vehicle also featured a custom suspension system, which included a set of adjustable coilovers and upgraded sway bars. This suspension system allowed the Shart Kart to handle corners and bumps with ease, making it perfect for track use. Inside, the vehicle featured a custom racing seat and a full complement of gauges and controls. The steering wheel was also custom-made and featured a quick-release mechanism, which made it easy for the driver to enter and exit the vehicle.
Overall, the Hoonigan Shart Kart was a true standout at SEMA 2018, with its unique design and impressive performance capabilities. It was a testament to the creativity and ingenuity of the automotive industry and was sure to turn heads wherever it went.
The Top Automotive Technologies
SEMA 2018 showcased the latest in automotive technologies. Here are some of the top technologies from this year's show:
Augmented Reality (AR)
- AR is becoming increasingly popular in the automotive industry, and SEMA 2018 had some impressive AR displays on show.
- Companies such as Audi and BMW showcased their latest AR technologies, allowing users to interact with virtual models of their cars.
- 3D printing is revolutionizing the automotive industry, and SEMA 2018 had some impressive 3D-printed parts on display.
- From engine components to body panels, 3D printing is making it easier and faster to create custom parts for cars.
- The rise of the Internet of Things (IoT) has led to an increase in connected cars, and SEMA 2018 had some of the latest connected car technologies on display.
- From smart dashboards to advanced infotainment systems, connected cars are changing the way we interact with our vehicles.
SEMA 2018 was an incredible showcase of the latest and greatest in the automotive industry. From the top trends to the best custom builds, SEMA 2018 had it all. The show provided an insight into the future of automotive innovation and showcased the incredible creativity and skill of the industry.
Whether you're a car enthusiast or just interested in the latest technologies, SEMA 2018 was an event not to be missed. With so much to see and experience, it's no wonder that SEMA is the ultimate automotive experience.
So, mark your calendars for SEMA 2019 and get ready for another incredible display of automotive innovation.